Monday, November 10, 2008

TOO much information for me


A short time ago I opened a Facebook page at the request of a close friend. I saw it as a good suggestion and went ahead and took the dive into the Facebook world.

After a few weeks here are my conclusions. You can say I am out of it or you can say I am getting too old or you can say I am just nuts, but here is what I think.

1. People put too much information up on the web for everyone to read. I think we need to be more discerning about what we share with the rest of the world.

2. I have better things to do than read what everyone is doing every minute of their life. I am happy for them and even glad that they are enjoying life but knowing when someone is going to bed or getting up or eating or whatever is TOO much information for me.

3. This thing started small but then it really started to grow. People were asking to be my Facebook friend. I wanted to keep it small. But if I said no, I felt like I would offend them. I give people plenty of reasons to get offended at me; I don't need another reason.

4. I really didn't want to put anything up on Facebook about what I was doing. My day to day life is just that, my day to day life. I am some what of a private person. Besides, I am just not that interesting.

5. I would like to say all, but to be conservative I will say most, of what I read was really shallow. No one put up things they had read that improved them. Nothing of any spiritual value. Oh there were some political views - especially with the election, but I really have had enough of these lately. I don't need more. If surface stuff is what Facebook is all about then I don't have time to waste on it.

They say you are only different today than you were yesterday by the books you have read and by the people that you meet. Facebook (its name says book so I will give it to them) is a pretty useless book and the people on Facebook were not able to really change or improve me because you can write anything you want about yourself and never be true to who you really are. Someone once said you impress people from a distance but you can only IMPACT people up close. I feel Facebook is a lot about impressing and little about impacting. People come and go in your life. Some stay longer than others. Some you just have to let go so you can invest more in the ones you can see FACE to FACE.

Give me a solid handshake or hug. You can tell a lot about a person through a handshake or hug. I like to look the person in the eyes. That is where you see the soul of a person. That's were you can feel what they feel. That is how you get to know someone.

So you can have Facebook. Give me the old fashion kind of friendships. The kind that is FACE to FACE not laptop to laptop.