Wednesday, April 9, 2008

One Hundred and Forty Feet Down


Good friends and missionaries to Germany, Gary and Gail, recently sent me their 2008 Spring newsletter. Gary has been traveling to Nigeria to minister to this nation. In his newsletter was this picture.

Here we see a Nigerian well-digger coming up after finding water at 140 feet--all dug by hand! My immediate response was I would not want to go 140 FEET DOWN in that hole. It looks cold, narrow and dangerous. As I looked at this picture I could just imagine the walls collapsing in on me, 140 feet down. But after I thought about it, I decided it would really depend on how thirsty I was.


Psa 42:1-2 NLT . . .As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for You, O God. (2) I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before Him?

So often we find ourselves not pursuing God until we get really thirsty for Him. We think our money, houses, cars, bikes, movies, careers, etc - can satisfy our thirst. But in reality this thirst is a spiritual need which only God can truly quench. So my encouragement to you is to drink of the everlasting water of God, the only real thirst quencher. And by the way, don't wait until you are dying of thirst.

Joh 4:13-14 NLT Jesus replied, "Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. (14) But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life."

No comments: