Sunday, December 21, 2008

Glory is Fleeting

"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting." - Gen. George C. Patton

Today at the end of our 11:15 church service, I experienced a moment I will never forget. A moment where I was really embarrassed. A moment that really blessed me. It came from those whom I serve, the congregation of Grace church. Pastor Bob invited me to come out to do the announcements as usual but as I approached the pulpit Pastor began to speak about the Christmas outreach that we had done the day before. It was a great day where we saw 1,708 people come to received 520 boxes of food and 1,250 toys for their children. 800 kids enjoyed a Kid zone full of games and best of all, 103 responded to the altar call with over 300 people from our church coming out to help.

Pastor stood next to me and said how much he appreciated all that I do for Grace church. That was itself a huge honor for me. But then the congregation not only began to applaud but they stood to their feet. Imagine that. They stood and applauded me. It was embarrassing to say the least.

I believe a man does what he can to the best of his ability. You do it when everyone notices and when no one notices. You do it first to the God you serve and then because you should. My dad taught me, "A job worth doing is worth doing well." Not for recognition or glory but because you are a man. I put the General Patton quote above as a reminder that victories do not last. The Patton quote reminds me that no matter how good you are there is always going to be someone better. I believe you're only as good as the results of your last endeavor. A number of successes will carry you through a few failures, but eventually you've got to hit the single along with a few home runs to stay in front of the game.

You enjoy the moment but you cannot live in it. You must move on. I see this as a form of humility. Humility is one of the top five best character traits a man should have. With humility the Bible says God will give you grace.

James 4:6 NLT ". . . As the Scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble."


For what I do I give God the glory. I know myself and if it wasn't for God I would be nothing. To those who appreciate what I do I say, "THANK YOU." These are small words which do not show how grateful I really am for the show of approval. In the end let God get the glory.


No comments: