Wednesday, January 14, 2009

PEOPLE ARE [Unaware]

I mentioned a few weeks ago a book I had purchased, "People are idiots and I can prove it" by Larry Winget. The guy is an interesting writer and I think a life coach. As I said before you may want to buy the book because it is full of common sense things that would indeed help you in addition to the ten items I will discuss. Gene Gentz, Christian author, once said that biblical principles are still biblical principles that will work even when someone who is not Christian applies them. I believe that is the case with this author. Although I do not know this guys religious beliefs. So I will over the next weeks give you the biblical principles behind the ten ways people sabotage their success mentioned in "People are idiots and I can prove it." Here we go.


PEOPLE ARE IGNORANT [Unaware]

Proverbs 1:1-5 NASB The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel: (2) To know wisdom and instruction, To discern the sayings of understanding, (3) To receive instruction in wise behavior, Righteousness, justice and equity; (4) To give prudence to the naive, To the youth knowledge and discretion, (5) A wise man will hear and increase in learning, And a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel,


In the title I replaced ignorant with unaware. Ignorant is a hard word but the basic meaning is you lack knowledge about a thing that you are capable of knowing. You are unaware. In fact many of us are unaware that we are unaware of things me need to know. Now this is not a sin it is human. You and I lack knowledge about a lot of stuff. I like to download from iTunes a series of programs from a TV show called "The Works." This show tells me things about stuff that I lack knowledge about. Motorcycles, tattoo's, guns, and parachuting are the most recent topics that I have gained some knowledge about.

Proverbs 4:5 NASB Acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding! Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth.


Years ago I wasn't being the best I could be as a husband. Funny thing was I didn't know I wasn't. I thought I was doing a good job. I got involved in Promise Keepers and learned I really didn't know much about being a husband. Through my involvement with PK I acquired the knowledge necessary to be a much better husband and man. The more I learned the more I realized I didn't know. Sound familiar. I was ignorant about things that I was capable of knowing that would help me.


James 1:5 NASB But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.


The Bible is full of principles that you and I need to know to be successful in life. Relationships, finances, fulfillment of life, answers to life's major questions. Questions like, 'Who is God?.' 'Where are you going to spend eternity.' How do I handle a job loss?' 'What do I do when my children do wrong things?' 'What to do when I get sick?' 'What to do when life comes at me to destroy me?' 'Why do people not like me?' What is God's plan for me?' and many more questions we don't know too ask. So often we are ignorant of those things that we are capable of knowing.

Matthew 7:7-8 NASB "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.(8) "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

The Bible, a good church, a pastor who will teach you God's Word, a Sunday school class, a mentor are places and people we need in our life if we are to become all that God desires for us to become. Through these things we gain the knowledge that will improve our lives, strengthen our relationships and guide us through the good and bad times of life. Knowledge we don't know we don't know but really need.


If you know something but don't use it to your advantage and success, well then that leads us to the next reason people sabotage their success. See you next week.

No comments: