Friday, January 2, 2009

Things to Improve Your New Year

Boy, it's January 2, 2009 all ready. It seems just yesterday that I was getting ready for volunteer banquet (March event.) But then again I have, like many of you, had a busy year.

As is our tradition the day after New Years Day Connie and I take down all the Christmas ornaments, tree and outside lights and store them for next year. I really don't mind since it gives the house a fresh look and feel of newness. We are now ready for what this new year will bring. I wonder what that will be. I never expected many things that occurred this last year. It is good to know that God was not caught off guard.

I read many devotionals each day and today I received one from purpose driven life. It gave scriptural advice on how to get through the tough times. After I read it I decided it was the only way to get through the great times as well. Here they are with my added input.

1. Don’t worry about anything. The message bible says it best. In “Matthew 6:34 MSG "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things (and Good Things - Albert notes) come up when the time comes." Worry is the opposite of faith and will steal your joy. Worry is counter-productive to accomplishing God's goals for your life.

2. Pray about everything. Philippians 4:6 NASB Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." If you are looking for something to do DON'T worry, PRAY. Prayer is nothing more than talking to God. Having a conversation with the All Mighty - who is the only one that can do something about whatever is going on in your life. Prayer is a monologue not a dialog. When you talk with God listen for His response. The voice of God will calm the most anxious soul and mind. Philippians 4:7 NASB And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

3. Thank God in all things. Philippians 4:6 NASB Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Thanksgiving is an act of faith.

4. Think about the right things. Philippians 4:8 MSG says it best, "Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious--the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse." We all had things happen we didn't like about this last year. We also had things we really liked about this last year. You have mountains because there are valleys. Ups and downs are what life is all about. You have a choice as to what you will dwell on. I choose the good because God is good and He is good to me. I refuse to give the devil any of my time. I am not going to waste any space in my mind on the devil.

These are just a few things for you to do. Add these to your New Years resolution list and I will guarantee you next year at this time you will feel as good about the upcoming year as I do. God is GOOD and He is GOOD to me. Happy New Year.

No comments: