Sunday, November 25, 2007

NO SATISFACTION!

After Black Friday, the big shopping day immediately following Thanksgiving and facing Cyber Monday, ceremonial kick-off of internet online purchasing, maybe a word about contentment is in line. Here are few things for us to reflect on.

1. Contentment doesn’t come from what I have but WHO I HAVE IN MY HEART.

Matthew 6:33 NLT Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need.
Hebrews 13:5 ESV Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

2. Contentment doesn’t come from what I have but it is the product of HOW I THINK.

People think if they have certain things they will be content. In reality that only leads to an ever lengthening list of things necessary to help me be content.
1 Timothy 6:9-10 ESV But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

3. Contentment doesn’t come from getting stuff it is something LEARNED.

Philippians 4:11 MSG Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances.

Paul Yancy wrote in ‘Prayer; Does It Make Any Difference?’ about a person who was a spiritual seeker. This person stopped his busy ‘acquiring stuff’ life to spend a few days in a monastery. The monk that welcomed him said, “I hope your stay is a blessed one.” As the monk showed him to his cell, a very, very simple living quarters he said. “If you need anything let me know and I we’ll teach you how to live without it.”

4. Contentment does not come from physical comfort but from SPIRITUAL COMFORT know as PEACE.

Hebrews 13:5-6 ESV Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." 6 So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?"

To be at peace is to not be afraid. Not to be afraid of what someone could do to me. Not to be afraid that someone will take what I have. Not to be afraid that someone has something I do not have. To be content is to be at peace with your surroundings. To be content is not, not working to improve but it is to not be at war with your surroundings.

I know a man who is not rich by most standards and actually is fighting a few physical aliments. He works hard to help improve on the life his family has, continues to believe God for healing as he does what he can to easy the aliment and speed his recovery and yet he is content – he is at peace. He is not at war, he is at peace. He is content.

At this holiday season with the message of peace on earth I pray that you find the gift of contentment. It is differently one that keeps on giving.


Luke 2:14 NLT "Glory to God in highest heaven, and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased."

No comments: