Monday, November 5, 2007

Quiet Room Work

I am sitting here in a completely quiet room. Well, it’s not totally quiet. I can hear cars passing by every once in awhile. I can hear the fan in my desktop PC running. My Big Dog Clock is ticking seconds away on the wall. I can hear a ringing in my ear, (Not sure what’s that about.) No TV, DVD, ipod, stereo or talking. Just quiet. Some normal background noise of a room but still very, very quiet. It is an amazing thing to sit in this kind of quiet because the mind begins to scan for mental activity. Yesterdays adventures, last years successes and failures, good memories and bad ones and of course plans for the future begin to run through your thoughts,

I realized I had total control over what I was going to think about. That was scary. As I roamed through the pages of my mind I realized more troubling things began to find their way to the forefront than good ones. Things that didn’t go so well or as planned. People I was troubled or challenged by. Moments in time that was not the best. BUT – I had control over my thoughts. I could drive them or just take my hands off the wheel so to say and let my thoughts drive themselves where ever they wanted to go. Kind of like driving your car, foot to the floor but with you hands in your pocket. I can guarantee you, you will wreck. Somebody is going to get hurt.

Philippians 4:8 MSG Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious--the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.

Everyone needs to have quiet time to think things through. Make plans, work through situations and happenings. So what do you need to know before you enter into the quiet room of your mind? Here are a few things to consider.

1. You never enter the room alone. – God and the Devil come with you.

2. The mind is the Devils favorite battlefield. He loves to go mano-a-mano with you right there in the middle of your thoughts. And remember the devil is really good at thought-fighting. 1 Peter 5:8 NASB Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

3. Confess you sins at the door. I John 1:9 - This will remove the devil's weapons.

4. Be rested before you enter – No one enters a battle exhausted and expects to win. Remember the mind is the devils battlefield so when you enter the quiet room it is a battle over your thoughts. A battle you want to win.

5. Have a plan before you go in. Go in with things you want to think over. Don’t go in with your hands off the wheel – you will wreck. A plan gives you control over your thoughts.

No comments: