Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lean on Me


I had lunch yesterday (10/10) with my best friend, Bob. Always a fun time. Always an encouraging time. Always a challenging time. Always leave feeling better than when I came. Now I am not one for making or having close friends. My wife tells me I am kind of a loner. [My wife is more than a close, close friend - she is in a different catagory. Tomorrow is our 33 anniversary and I'll write about the years and her tomorrow.] What I am talking about is someone not of your family or your spouse. Someone God has brought along side you who has filled this "Close Friend" slot. The Biblical example is Paul and Barnabas. That would be Bob.


Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NASB
v9 Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. v10 For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. v11 Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? v12 And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.

These are great verses. They speak of having a friend that you can talk out ideas with, be creative and discuss the issues you face, good and bad. Synergy type stuff - the result is greater than the sum of the parts. Verse 10 speaks of being there to help one another when you mess up and we all mess. Verse 11 talks about encouraging each other and we all need to be encouraged. Finally, verse 12 tells us we need people who will pray with you and help fight our battles with us. I am blessed to have a friend, Bob, who is all this for me.

Proverbs 18:24 MSG Friends come and friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family.
So, Bob (and all the other 'Bobs' out there), this one's for you.


No comments: