Thursday, October 25, 2007

Slow Down You Move Too FAST

Yesterday I was out driving running some errands. Now driving in Tulsa is always an experience. I used to work in northern Illinois - Chicago. Now there, people know how to drive. It's survival - put on your signal and take the lane. Not my fault if you didn't see the turn signal. On ramps had signs that read merge - which means as I zoom on to the highway LET ME IN. Rush hour didn't have speed limits it was either stop or full throttle. Everyone understood the rules and obeyed. It was survival.

Tulsa is different. No one uses turn signals. On ramps are the worse. First of all they're like 20 feet long. Many are 'U' shaped coming right off the side streets so you have little to no time to see the traffic coming and get up to speed. The worse thing about them is the sign on the ramps which read 'YIELD.' Yield to the guys attempting to get up on the highway. Folks driving on the highway are not willing to let you in since you must 'YIELD' to them. So what you will see is people STOPPED on the on ramps waiting for an opportunity to enter traffic. Good thing we are praying people here in the bible belt. It is a experience every time you drive here in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Of course, my wife tells me that I drive pretty crazy. I threaten to put a blindfold on her. "Slow down" "You see that guy is stopping" "Use your turn signal." "If you get another ticket..." And of course there are the looks that she gives me - no words can explain those but every married guy knows what I mean.

Now I have had my share of tickets. I always felt that a $80 to $100 speeding ticket every couple of years was kind of a fee I paid for the right to speed. Say 10 to 15 miles over the speed limit.

Now the problem with driving is everyone is some persons annoyance. If you are bugging me because of the way you are driving then I must be bugging someone with the way that I am driving. When I am driving and my wife is with me I 'drive' her nuts. The reverse is true when she is driving. I'm thinking, "Go faster." "Get in the other lane." "Don't slow down speed up." "Turn here." And so on.

Matthew 7:3-4 NASB "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?

It is SO easy to see the wrong in others. Much easier than noticing the things that we do that need changed. It is human pride to think we are always right and the other guys is wrong. But we are all guilty of this. Honestly, it's hard not to. There is someone out there that see us as the bad driver on the road. I know there are some saying right now, "NOT ME." but it is true. That's why Jesus said what he said. Don't go looking for the wrong in others when you have enough of your own to think about. BIG JOB for most of us. Did I mention I have had my share of tickets - worse thing is my wife has never gotten a ticket. RATS - that's not fair.

So today as you drive around and get behind someone going slow or driving crazy. And as you start to yell about them, look around - I'll bet you will spot someone yelling about you.

No comments: