Thursday, October 18, 2007

In the DARK

I used to be afraid of the dark. I always had a night light when I was a kid. I would go into my room about 2 hours before I went to bed and check to make sure the light still worked. I would turn on the light, see that the light came on, sigh a sigh of relief because I thought it was still good, turn the light off and leave. I didn't realize the bulb had a life span and after so many hours it was going to burn out. I didn't realize that it didn't matter that it worked two hours before I went to sleep. Youthful ignorance is pretty funny. I was afraid of the dark, that was the issue. Fear causes us to do things and believe things at are really not true.


Matthew 14:23 MSG With the crowd dispersed, he climbed the mountain so he could be by himself and pray. He stayed there alone, late into the night.


This morning like many mornings I sat in the dark and prayed. Quiet and alone I sat and enjoyed the moment. I really enjoyed the moment. I enjoyed it so much - feeling the closeness of the Lord - that I decided to forgo my workout at the gym and spend the time in the dark quiet of my office at home alone with God.

Most of us don't spend quiet time alone just talking to God. I think the reasons is that we are still afraid of the dark. The dark removes the distracts and being alone removes the interruptions. Just you and God, a scary place for some. Afraid that God will tell us to do something that we don't want to do. Afraid that God will expose an area in our life that He wants us to work on, Afraid God will say enough is enough I want you to stop smoking, gossiping, cursing, drinking, watching a TV show. Or maybe God will ask us to start doing something like go the church, visit the sick, give to the poor, pray for an enemy. You know, all those things that Christians are suppose to do but don't. We are afraid of the Dark - a quiet place of solitude where we we find ourselves alone with God. BOO!

No comments: